Ham and Broccoli Strata
This is a colorful egg dish that can quickly be assembled the night before, and it is hearty enough to serve any time of day, hot or warm. The recipe serves 12, but for a family or smaller crowd, cut the recipe in half and bake it in an 8x8” baking dish. This will also reduce the cooking time.
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- ¼ cup (½ stick) Challenge Unsalted Butter
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- 2 medium sweet white onion, quartered and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced (about 1¼ cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons prepared spicy brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham (about ¾ pound)
- 12 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 3¼ cups)
- 1 loaf (16 ounce) sourdough French bread, cut in ½-inch cubes
1Cut broccoli into spears, removing leaves and tough ends. Blanch in boiling water then cool quickly in ice water. Chop into approximately ¾-inch pieces and set aside.
2Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground red pepper and sauté onion, garlic and red bell pepper.
3In a bowl, beat the eggs and combine with mustard and black pepper then mix in milk.
4Place half of the bread cubes in a well buttered 13x9-inch baking dish. Add layers of half the amounts of the onion mixture, broccoli, ham and cheese. Add second layer of bread cubes and pour half of the egg mixture over the layers. Repeat layers with remaining onion mixture, broccoli, ham and cheese. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the assembled layers.
5Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
6Bake uncovered at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.