Crab Strata Florentine
Prepare and refrigerate this crab casserole 8 hours or overnight, then pop it in the oven an hour before serving. It’s a hit with crab lovers and a breeze to cook.
- 8 cups cubed (1-inch) Italian or French bread
- ½ pound fresh crabmeat or 2 (6 ounces) cans crabmeat, drained
- 6 Tablespoons Challenge Butter (¾ stick)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 7 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon thyme leaves
1Butter a 13" x 9" baking pan with 1 Tablespoon butter. Arrange bread cubes in the bottom of the pan. Top bread evenly with crabmeat.
2Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté for 4 minutes. Add spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
3Arrange spinach mixture over the crabmeat. Top with grated Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
4Melt ¼ cup butter. Combine milk, beaten eggs, ¼ cup melted butter (4 Tablespoons), dry mustard, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour egg mixture evenly over the pan. Cover with foil. Chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
5Bake at 325°F, covered, for one hour or until bubbly.