Perfect Cast Iron Grilled Cheese
A grilled cheese sandwich is only as good as its ingredients: tangy sourdough bread, a blend of high-quality cheeses, and plenty of Challenge Butter slathered on each side. For this recipe, we recommend a cast-iron pan for its even distribution of heat; we also suggest a variety of filling options, depending on your mood or what you have on hand.
- 2 Tablespoons Challenge Dairy Butter, softened
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 slices Swiss, gruyere, or pepper jack cheese, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped and grilled (optional)
- ½ cup button mushroom, sliced and grilled (optional)
- 4 slices tomato, thinly sliced (optional)
- Ham or Turkey slices (optional)
1Pre-heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
2Butter one side of each piece of bread and apply a thin layer of mayonnaise on the other.
3Assemble the grilled cheese by placing one slice of bread, butter side down, on the hot skillet. Place one slice of cheddar cheese on the bread, top with optional toppings, and complete with slice of other type of cheese and slide of bread with butter side up. Repeat for remaining sandwich.
4Press the top of each sandwich down lightly with a spatula and let cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
5Remove from the skillet, slice diagonally and serve immediately.