Apple Thyme Cheddar Scones
These sweet and savory scones are soft, moist, and packed with flavor. Finely diced chunks of tart apple contrast to the richness of the cheese, and the touch of thyme gives it an elegant herb flavored finish.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons Challenge Butter; cold & cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or ¾ teaspoon dry whole leaf thyme)
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided (3 oz)
- 1 Granny Smith apple; peeled, cored and chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
1Preheat oven to 400°F.
2Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a 2 to 3 quart mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3Stir in ¾ cup cheese, breaking up clumps and coating cheese with flour mixture. Combine buttermilk and egg. Stir buttermilk mixture, thyme and apples into flour/cheese mixture; mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
4Gather dough into a ball and knead against the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl- (if necessary dust hands with ½ Tablespoon flour). Turn dough and press loose pieces until they adhere and the bowl is fairly clean.
5Form into a ball and place on buttered or parchment lined baking sheet; pat into 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges and separate pieces ½-inch apart. Sprinkle wedges evenly with remaining cheese. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned.