French Onion Soup
Classic and simple, this beef-broth based soup features the flavor of caramelized onions topped with grated Swiss and Gruyere cheese melted over the thick cubes of toasted bread.
- ¼ cup Challenge Unsalted Butter (½ stick)
- 6 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cans “lower sodium” beef broth (14 oz each)
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 6 slices sourdough French bread, toasted and cubed
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook slowly (25 minutes) until tender.
Blend in flour and black pepper. Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add Sherry. Ladle into ovenproof bowls. Float bread cubes and sprinkle with cheeses. Broil until cheeses melt and begin to brown.