Hearty chowder with chunks of ham and broccoli.
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces (5 cups)
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 4 Tablespoons Danish Creamery Butter , (½ stick)
- 1 cup chopped onions (1 medium sized)
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (1¼ cups)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces fully cooked ham, cut in ⅜-inch cubes (1 cup)
- Salt to taste
Combine broccoli and broth in microwave-safe covered container and microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until broccoli is just tender. Set aside.
Melt butter over medium–low heat in a 4 quart pot. Add onions and sauté until limp but not browned.
Add flour and cook stirring for about 3 minutes until the flour cooked but not browned.
Stir in cooking liquid from broccoli and milk; cook until mixture starts to thicken.
Add cheese cubes and black pepper, ham and broccoli; stir over medium heat until cheese melts. Heat through but do not boil. Salt to taste. Serve hot.