Chicken Curry with Toasted Almonds
Enjoy Indian-inspired cuisine at home. This recipe uses a medley of spices to create a flavor profile recognized a world away. A little sweet. A little heat. What more do you want? Garnish with the toasted almonds and slices of fresh lemon. Goes well over a long grained rice like Basmati.
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup Challenge Butter
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons pressed or minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated or minced ginger root
- 1 fresh green (Serrano) chili, quartered lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 to 5 cups cooked rice (optional)
- lemon slices (optional)
1Toast almonds in skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
2Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until limp and slightly browned at the edge. Add garlic, ginger and Serrano chili; sauté an additional minute. Stir in salt and spices; sauté briefly to blend.
3Add chicken; stir and cook until pieces no longer appear pink. Add coconut milk and crushed red pepper. Stir until mixture comes to boil then reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
4Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Sprinkle toasted almonds over the top.
5Serve over rice and garnish with lemon slices if desired.