Beef, Pork and Lamb
Shepherd’s Pie is the ultimate comfort dish: warm, filling, and endlessly adaptable. In this version, cooked potatoes are mashed with cream cheese for a rich, creamy crust on top.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 oz Challenge Dairy Cream Cheese
- ½ cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Challenge Dairy Butter
- 1 pound ground lamb, beef, or turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup peas
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash potatoes with cream cheese. Stir in milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2Preheat oven to 350°F.
3While potatoes boil, heat the butter in a medium skillet brown and crumble meat for 3 minutes, add onion and carrot and continue to cook until meat is cooked through and veggies have softened, about 5 minutes.
4Stir in the flour and then broth and cook another 3 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Stir in peas, thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
5Pour meat/vegetable mixture into a 1½ quart baking dish. Spoon potatoes evenly over meat and crosshatch with a fork.
6Top with cheese if desired and bake for 30 minutes.