- 4 poblano peppers halved and seeds/membranes removed
- 2 Tablespoons Challenge Dairy Butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 Tablespoon ancho chile powder
- ½ Tablespoon mexican oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of adobo sauce
- 1-2 cups grated mozzarella or Mexican-blend cheese
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the pork, beef, ancho chile ancho powder, oregano, cayenne, and thyme. Sauté over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until meat is browned and cooked through.
3Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Arrange halved poblano peppers in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
4Add tomato sauce, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce to meat mixture and mix to combine well. Simmer for 10 minutes to reduce sauce and allow flavors to meld.
5Spoon mixture into the peppers, sprinkle with cheese, and return to oven for another 10 minutes or so until peppers are tender and cheese is melted. Allow to cool slightly before serving.