Millionaire’s Bar, also known as also known as caramel shortcake or caramel squares, is a sweet, layered dessert made with a shortbread crust, caramel filling, and a semi-sweet chocolate topping.
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 227g) Unsalted Challenge Dairy Butter, cold
- 1 ¾ cup (219g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (32g) cornstarch
- ⅔ cup (150g) sugar, superfine or caster
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 227g) Unsalted Challenge Dairy Butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup (119g) heavy cream
- ½ cup (170.5g) light corn syrup
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate baking bar, broken into pieces
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- 2In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt at low speed until combined (about 5 seconds).
- 3Cut the cold butter into ½-inch cubes. Place the butter cubes in a small bowl and toss with ¼ cup of the flour mixture.
- 4Add the floured butter (with any extra flour) to the bowl of the stand mixer. Mix on low speed until the dough is light yellow in color and small crumbs (about 4 minutes).
- 5Remove bowl from stand mixer and use your hands to toss the mixture and rub any remaining butter bits into the flour mixture.
- 6Press the shortbread mixture firmly and evenly into the lined pan, smoothing it with the back of a spoon. Using a fork, pierce dough at 1-inch intervals.
- 7Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the top and edges are lightly golden brown.
- 8Remove the shortbread from the oven. While the crust is still hot, press it down with a spatula and set it aside to cool while you prepare the caramel filling.
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 2Add sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- 3Continue cooking until the mixture reaches 236°F on a candy thermometer, stirring constantly (about 15-18 minutes).
- 4Pour over the cooled shortbread crust and spread to an even thickness. The mixture will be very hot. Let cool completely in the refrigerator, about 1½ hours.
- 1Add the chocolate pieces to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the chocolate bits up in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each time, until the chocolate is completely melted with no lumps.
- 2Spread the melted chocolate over the caramel. Set aside until chocolate is set (about 10 minutes).
- 3Cut into strips or squares and serve.