I think everyone one loves lasagna, but doesn’t love how much time it takes. I put a modern twist on this family classic, with a light, lemony, cream sauce that really accentuates the chicken. Rolling up the noodles not only makes a pretty presentation, but makes serving a breeze. Whether it is a fancy dinner party, or a quick weeknight meal, this recipe is a crowd pleaser!
- For extra nutrition and flavor, try adding 1 cup of cooked spinach or mushrooms to the sauce!
- Short on time? Although the homemade sauce is the best, try adding lemon juice, zest and basil to store bought Alfredo sauce for an extra fast weeknight meal!
- This is a great dish to make ahead and freeze. Place Roll-Ups in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to two months.
- Make the sauce your own! Try added a variety of your favorite herbs to the sauce such as oregano or fresh rosemary.
- Make double the amount of Roasted Tomatoes in Garlic Butter to add to your favorite vegetables the next day. These tomatoes are also great tossed with fettucine and extra garlic butter for a great side dish.
- 8 Tablespoons Challenge Butter, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 5 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 4 ounces Challenge Cream Cheese, softened
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of zest
- 6 Tablespoons fresh basil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups precooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups small cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking dish by spraying with a cooking spray.
2To create sauce, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add 2 minced garlic cloves, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute more. Pour in milk, whisking constantly, and bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in cream cheese and Parmesan cheese and simmer until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Add lemon juice, zest and 3 tablespoons of the fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper, slightly cool sauce.
3Spoon a thin layer of sauce onto bottom of a glass baking dish. Spread a thin layer of sauce, onto each cooked noodle and top with chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and then roll up noodle. Place roll-ups in baking dish, seam-side down, and spoon over remaining sauce. Cover with foil.
4Place the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, the remaining 2 cloves of garlic and the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place in oven for about two minutes to melt butter. Once melted, toss tomatoes in butter.
5Place the tomatoes back into the oven, along with the Lasagna Roll-Ups. Bake until chicken is warmed through, and tomatoes are roasted, about 20 minutes.
6Remove both pans from oven. Immediately toss the tomatoes with the remaining 3 tablespoons cup of basil. Let lasagna Roll-ups rest for at 5 minutes before serving.
7To serve, place a Roll-Up on a serving plate, top with Roasted Tomatoes in Garlic Butter.