Broccoli with Lemon Herb Sauce
Fresh lemon juice and garlic give traditional broccoli a wake-up call. Tip: Make sure the broccoli retains its crispness during cooking so that it isn’t overpowered by the liveliness of the sauce. Garnish with lemon and/or thyme.
- 1½ pounds broccoli
- 3 Tablespoons Challenge Butter
- ½ teaspoon (1 clove) garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced (or ½ teaspoon dried whole leaves)
- ½ teaspoon *fresh lemon peel, finely minced (1/16 inch)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Prepare broccoli spears and sliced stems, and steam until crisp-tender (8 minutes).
In a 1-quart pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté until slightly browned.
In a separate small bowl, blend cornstarch with cold water and then stir into butter/garlic mixture along with salt, sugar, thyme, and lemon zest. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Pour over hot drained broccoli.
Note: *Use lemon zester or vegetable peeler to remove thin yellow outer peel of a lemon.